We are all busy helping people to get away for a Christmas holiday. This is always a busy time of year for us, so if there is anyone out there needing a 2015 Christmas booking, please let us know as early as possible in the year.
As the ‘festive season’ is almost upon us, I am offering some advice about the human food that you enjoy, but is toxic to me and my friends. I am sure that you are aware of the top 3 really toxic foodstuffs, but I have still included them in the list.
This contains Theobromine and is very toxic to us causing heart, central nervous system and kidney problems. We would love to eat chocolate, if we got the chance, so PLEASE hide all your Christmas chocs away safely.
I know some of our owners like to treat us to the odd treat of milky tea, however, caffeine causes similar problems to chocolate, plus we cannot digest milk either. All in all, it is much safer to let us only drink water.
Grapes /raisins and sultanas
It isn’t understood yet what the toxic substance is in grapes but they can and do cause kidney failure. No Christmas cake for us please!!!
Garlic and chives too, but onions in particular, whether raw or cooked are toxic to us. If, as some owners do, you feed human baby food to puppies, do take care that it doesn’t contain dried onion flavouring.
Although almost all vegetables are very good for us, avocados contain ‘Persin’ in the fruit itself, the leaves and the skin. If we ingest any of this, it will cause vomiting and diarrhoea, so please keep your avocado and prawn Christmas starters AND the throw away bits, well away from us!!!
Do get us to the vet as soon as you can, if we do manage to snaffle any of the above, when you are not looking. Some of us are able to absorb these toxins with not too much ill effect, equally to some of us they are deadly, even in small quantities.
Speak to you again soon.